2016/10/08

I would fain play these games perpetually

I am a collector of vintage role-playing games, and I usually eschew new games.
I would have no qualms with playing them once or twice, or even with buying them.
As an example,  I bought "The One Ring" RPG last year, played it several times,  and had a great time with it.

It would be interesting to learn what a teenager who has just entered this hobby thinks about old-school blogs in general; some among them may undoubtedly appreciate our efforts, whilst others may feel we are just gibbering useless things.
Thus, they would not tarry too long perusing our posts- those posts that we painstakingly type to not let these old games sink into oblivion.

But I must admit that- whichever is the feedback I got in all these years, my enthusiasm never quailed.
In this respect I look like those bold characters in our adventures...the idea of exploring a subterranean dungeon doesn't make them quail, instead they venture there with eagerness.

I know, many turned their faces away from my blog during time, mainly because I lambasted more than once AD&D, pointing my love and attention towards other games.
This made my old-school blog a particular one, and only those fellow gamers who shared similar views as mine kept reading what I had to say.
So this is the occasion I have to thank you all for your support.

I will keep trying to quench your thirst about old -unheard of- games, you can stay assured. The goal of this blog never really changed.
I don't want to sway others using logical argument to like what I like; I am just providing knowledge.

But I hold in great esteem curiosity, that is why I cherish many, many games- not just once- and I must distribute my love accordingly, to the eternal chagrin of persons who fully embrace one game and get lost in it.

So for the future I am concocting new posts about obscure games, again to shed light on them and make their mechanics available to the masses.
My claim won't be belied, I don't forget what I promise. Maybe it takes a lot of time, but in the end I usually do it (for instance, take into consideration my revised project of "Perils Eternal". I never forget that, I am still slowly working on it).

My aim is to bamboozle hard-core D&D players! I will constantly unveil competitor games :)

So if you concur with me, keep following my blog.

8 comments:

Perpetual Role said...

Anyone who uses the word "perpetually" in relation to RPGs will always have one follower at least.

Tony said...

Anyone who can work the word "fain" in everyday conversation can have me as a follower.

Jay Murphy said...

I'm a follower.

Tom said...

I love the variety.

Ed H said...

I find old weird games fascinating. The more so as I grow older and weirder myself. I'm very grateful to you for scanning Mage by Arcchaeron Games System, which I owned as a kid; I've never seen a copy as an adult.

Philosophical slumber said...

@Ed: my pleasure. Maybe it's about time to scan Warrior as well (the second Archaeron supplement).

Anonymous said...

I have always enjoyed your blog. Your advocacy for lesser-known RPGs has educated me far more than I could have imagined. I am truly interested in reading some of these RPGs that you have found so fascinating over the years.

While I definitely appreciate the time and effort of modern pen-and-paper RPGs, I find that they lack the cultural authenticity that RPGs from the 70's through the early 1990s had. Those RPGs had to be good; they had to go through the expense of printing & physical distribution.

While it is not a popular opinion due to copyrights and legalities, I am of the opinion that the best way to preserve some of these nearly-forgotten treasures is through open distribution while there is still an appreciable audience. Obviously, those RPGs that are claimed by their authors or by successor copyright holders can not be distributed but it would be a shame to release these RPGs so late that not even a niche audience would express an interest in them.

All media is prone to be lost, be it through negligence of one type or another (Doctor Who fans can relate, if you need evidence). Only through mass distribution can appreciation be rebuilt for these RPGs again.

Thank you for maintaining your blog.

Jonas said...

I like your old-school blog because it doesn't have narrow focus and it ain't just nostalgia tripping.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...