2014/04/12

Nothing should remain recondite for the future generations

Those who follow this blog (126 until now) know that i am basically here to get rid of Dungeons & dragons and to spread the gospel of all the other OLD SCHOOL fantasy role-playing games.

Well, i made some effort until now and there is more to come, but know that i won't be here forever.

I am actually planning to close this blog by November, 2014.

It is becoming increasingly difficult to write posts on a regular basis, but i still want to do something for the benefit of future generations of players.

Since i can help, i will. And then i will have reached my aim and i can disappear.

After all, what is important are the games, so at some point there won't be need to write anymore. If one person after coming to know a new rpg decides to quit playing D&D in order to give that game a chance, i will have reached my goal.

We are in 2014 now, fantasy rpg history started forty years ago and it is so disheartening to see people still playing Dungeons & Dragons as if nothing else existed.

But they are not guilty, the problem is the lack of information, the lack of availability of these old games. They are usually just something collected by greedy persons who store them in the glass case and then throw away the key.

The only fantasy rpg that i miss in my collection is "Phantasy conclave", with this exception i own every fantasy rpg listed in the rpg encyclopedia website.

This is why my perspective has always been different from that of other bloggers and i never felt the need to be affiliated with any of them, avoiding to have a blogroll.

Everyone is free to take the path he desires, my path has been that of discovering, of studying. And i found out many amazing things! If you read my blog, chances are that the same flame is burning inside you.

So, don't be sad now for what i wrote and let's continue this voyage together.
There is still a bright horizon ahead...follow my steps.


INFO: http://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/57062/lands-of-adventure

6 comments:

Luca Lorenzon said...

I get your point, but I don't see any need in closing your blog: it could be still a place for discussing rpgs and for getting your advices.

Perpetual Role said...

The best comment ever in an RPG blog in years: "...the problem is the lack of information, the lack of availability of these old games. They are usually just something collected by greedy persons who store them in the glass case and then throw away the key."
Some of the people in your 126 followers do exactly what you mention here: and many one-of-a-kind items are owned but moderately wealthy, very greedy persons who hoard these things like a dragon sitting on treasure. Maybe a group of adventurers will break in and deal with them one day and properly distribute those products. One can hope. I wonder what these morons with 18 copies of something or other intend to do with them? Who knows. One good party of adventurers though, and they've had it.
I for one have deeply appreciated your efforts: you told me about a game I never heard of from Finland called Acirema, and so I drummed up support for an English-language version and it's coming out in May on Obscure RPG Day! Yea! Thanks Catacomb Librarian!

Charlie Warren said...

You might want to reconsider closing the blog. This is one of my "must-read" stops!

paulierockets said...

I can understand the effort of posting often. But your blog is probably unique; it certainly is in my experience. It would be a shame to end it. Perhaps we should talk?

I will admit to having played D&D and AD&D, but never got as far as iteration 3 or further. I switched my campaign to GURPS, which was pretty cool, and am now having my daughter explore my world using 1978 vintage RuneQuest. And it is perfect!

Tony said...

So, if I keep adding FRPGs to the RPG Geek site, you will have to keep your blog going? Challenge accepted!

Anonymous said...

Others have shared my sentiment but I will add it anyway: What would you achieve by closing your blog? If anything, your goal (which you have stated is the advocacy of defunct fantasy RPGs over D&D) is only advanced by keeping your blog open.

There are multitudes of blogs that only update weekly, bi-weekly, and even monthly; It is not the quantity of content but the quality of content that should be of consideration.

Perhaps you ought to consider hosting a forum for these RPGs, so that people could more openly collaborate in creative endeavors concerning these RPGs (generate new modules, characters, items, etc.) while you still retain the pleasure of adding posts when you so desire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...